Monday, September 21, 2009

Earthquake!

Yesterday, just before 3 PM I was sitting at my computer and felt my chair rocking back and forth. It was as if someone had walked up behind me and grabbed the back of my chair and pushed it back and forth. We have wobbly chairs, so I wasn't sure what had happened so I went into the next room and said, "Did you feel that?"

Megan and Pastor Rajesh both felt it, but Victoria was oblivious.

I immediately went online to see if I could find some observation station with live reporting, but couldn't.

This morning I was greeted with an email announcing an earthquake that struck Bhutan at that time yesterday. It was 6.1 on the richter scale. I think that place is about 260 miles away. Here's a link to the USGS site.

This is the second time we've been able to feel an earthquake here. The first time was just after we moved here.

2 comments:

Sewconsult said...

Jeff, this is Meg's Aunt Beckie. Glad to hear that you didn't have any stronger tremors from the earthquake. I don't think Meg took her hard hat to India with her, so keep her safe! Keeping all of you in my prayers.
Beckie

Rob Foster said...

I remember when I had a team in M, and there was a fairly significant earthquake during dinner. Most of the team members were from California so we all paused, determined it wasn't too serious, and went back to the meal. However, there was one team member from Scotland who had never been in an earthquake and she was quite "shaken" by the experience!

Glad to hear that you guys survived it, but it must have done quite a bit of damage in Bhutan!