Thursday, August 19, 2010

Drunk, Delirious or Demonized?

"Welcome to India," spoken with an Indian accent is something we often say to each other when we experience something really weird here. Well we've been back in India for a week and last night I had my "Welcome to India" moment.

I was driving home late at night (around 10:30). It was drizzling. It was very difficult to see. I hate driving at night here because my windows always fog up (part of the poor design of my Indian made Bolero), people don't know how or simply refuse to dim their lights and there's always huge pot holes or other obstacles in the road. These obstacles usually take the form of a bicycle, rickshaw, cow or a pedestrian.

Last night's obstacle was a bit unusual, even for India. I was driving along, squinting, trying to make sure I didn't kill anyone. All of the sudden I see a man walking in the road. This man wasn't walking on the side of the road as is common, but in the middle of my lane. What was really unusual was that he was buck naked.

I was so shocked, I didn't really know what to think about him. I did manage to swerve around him. As I drove on, I was left thinking, "What on earth would possess a man to do that?" I finally decided either he was drunk, delirious or demonized.

Someone asked, "Did you stop?" The answer is no. I guess I'm not the good Samaritan. I did take time to pray for him - knowing that whether he was drunk, delirious or demonized, there's not much I could do for him other than pray for his deliverance. If God moves you to do the same, I hope you'll pray not only for him, but for the countless like him.

No comments: